With Good Friday and Easter Monday both being British Public Holidays, many offices have just had one of the longest closures in the calendar year – with even more employees taking the chance to use an additional four days from their holiday allocation to extend their overall leave to ten days.
However, with a high level of demand for this four day extension, it is important for HR professionals to manage this effectively.
Potential problems could be:
- Insufficient workforce to cope with demand
- Low morale from employees that have to work
- Unexpected sicknesses meaning that other staff could be absent at short notice
Possible solutions include:
- Holding a ballot to ensure fairness when deciding on who to allocate the holiday to
- Rewarding employees who have over-achieved
- Issuing holidays on a first-come, first-served basis
- Taking unexpected sickness into consideration from the outset
Additionally, HR software such as Simply Personnel can be used to allow staff to submit their own holiday requests for their line manager to approve and then the HR team can produce a report to show exactly who will be absent during a particular period.
If you would like to have a free 30 day trial of Simply Personnel, please call us today on 0800 783 0322 opt 1 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.